D∆WN, aka Dawn Richard, releases her first single of 2016 and a second taste of one of the year’s most anticipated albums.
D∆WN has been one of music’s most distinctive voices and songwriters since 2004, first as a member of Danity Kane and then as part of Dirty Money with Diddy and Kalenna Harper, releasing the classic Last Train to Paris. However, it’s as a solo artist that she’s really soared.
Across two self-released albums and several EPs, D∆WN has honed a style of music that she describes as “genderless, colourless and genreless”, as connected to Bjork’s boundary-less world-building and future-focused electronic music as the pop innovations of Missy Elliott and Aaliyah.
D∆WN’s last album Blackheart was ranked as one of 2015’s best albums by Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, Vogue, FACT, LA Times, Spin, Rap Up and many more. Her music videos and visual style are also second to none, with outfits and choreography reflecting “the marriage between music and the body” that is so vital to her music.
‘Not Above That’ is the second single from RED•emp•tion, D∆WN’s third solo album and the final part of a trilogy (with GoldenHeart and Blackheart.) Produced by Machinedrum and written by D∆WN and Maya Vik, it reflects the more up-tempo vibe of D∆WN’s Red Era but is packed with late night longing and subtle emotion.
Praise for Blackheart:
• “A stunning personal statement” – Best Albums of 2015, Pitchfork
• “When will the world be ready for Dawn Richard?” – Best R&B of 2015, Rolling Stone
• “Like nothing else” – #1 Album of 2015, FACT
• “Deserved sales and critical praise” – Best Albums of 2015, Vogue
• “The most ambitious and revelatory album of the year” – The Guardian
• “Takes her creativity to the next level” – Best Albums of 2015, Rap Up
• “One of the most explosively inventive electronic albums” – Noisey
• “She has created a singularity” – #1 Electronic Album of 2015, Popmatters
D∆WN live dates:
3/12 • New York • Webster Hall
3/14 • Washington DC • DC9
3/17 • Austin TX • SXSW
4/21 • Minneapolis • Cedar Cultural center
4/22 • Chicago • Reggies
5/20• North Carolina • Moogfest
Released 29 January 2016
Produced by Machinedrum
Written by D∆WN and Maya Vik